Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Attacking Iran via South Ossetia

An editor I once worked for told me that when his parents and grandparents discussed the day’s news over dinner, they would inevitably finish by asking each other: “Is it good for the Jews?”

“Whether it was a war or an earthquake or men landing on the moon, it would always come down to that,” he recalled. “They saw everything through that lens.”

This year, I’ve developed a comparable pathology. I am terrified that the Bush administration is going to attack Iran sometime before it leaves office on January 20. Whenever there is a new tremor in Washington or the wider world, I ask myself: Does this make an American strike against Iran more or less likely?

So it is with the recent dustup in Georgia. I fear it has increased the chances that the United States will bomb Iran.

Read article

No comments: